We all just want to feel...

At the Afrojack concert with Sarah

The girls (minus Dan) at Afrojack (sorry for the weird lighting...)

The bathroom at the Church: Scum of the Earth... the Church is run by a group of artists, and it's the most beautiful and interesting place I have ever been. Not very scummy if you ask me... (Cheesy joke; sorry)
     In all of the experiences that I've been privy to these past few weeks, I've come to notice a common trend. In these group functions, though vastly different, the main intentions seems to be similar, almost the same, even. We want a genuine and passionate experience and a place where we belong. Everyone just wants to feel something.
     When all the girls (and Dan) went to an Afrojack rave concert last weekend, all the concert-goers simply wanted a connection. People crammed together to feel like they were part of something bigger than themselves. The desire to be part of a group is innate in all of us. At the concert, they stimulated all 5 senses with the look and smell of smoke and lights, cool breath, and touch. Admittedly, many of the ravers were probably on drugs (which made it even more entertaining for me and my roommates...), but I like to ponder why they were compelled to participate in such actions. Everyone just wants to feel something.
     Last weekend, the entire group went to a Charismatic Church. In the Church, believers "let themselves go" to be open to the Holy Spirit. Waving flags, running around hugging, dancing, laying down, and laying hands on the sick are all free game. Watching the people with their arms up exclaiming, and even screaming, their praise and worship, I could see that humans were never created to be the center of their own universe. As arrogant and selfish as people often are, we all want, and even need, to worship something. It is so natural to become subservient. We were made to serve. Each other. Everyone we meet. God. Above all, God.
    I don't think it's by accident that humanity seems to have the same burning desires such as inclusion in a group, passion, and feeling something great. God purposefully programmed us with these desires. We were made to have communion with one another in love and fellowship; this is now known as the worldwide Church. Designed to serve Christ, we are supposed to feel something extraordinary when we are connecting to our Lord. However, because the world doesn't always understand these desires, we often put them in other places, such as drugs and random social functions. Although things like concerts aren't inherently sinful, I think it's important to realize that these desires stem from something much grander than a night downtown; they were made to be experienced for eternity.
     **PS- right after typing this blog, I went to a Church called Scum of the Earth with the rest of the Gappies (Gap Year students). When I got there, my friends Kayla and Blair introduced me to their new "friend" named Kathy. I didn't know anything about her, and I didn't have time to ask since the service started soon after shaking her hand. However, I could tell something was wrong. It was in her eyes. Anyway, not long into the service, I heard her begin sobbing. I was shocked. As the preacher had only been speaking for about 10 minutes, the sermon didn't seem to be anything terribly emotional. Still, I saw her leave the room, and I immediately began praying that she would come back. I felt the Holy Spirit say that I should minister to her. Not soon after praying, she came back into the room, and I thanked God under my breath. Then, a few minutes later she again left the room sobbing, and after waiting about a minute, I followed her out. It wasn't hard to find her in the lobby; she was huddled in a corner crying. Trying to appear as receptive as possible, I asked her what was wrong and if there was anything I could do. At first, she put up a facade by saying it would take too long to explain, she didn't know where to begin, and she didn't want to bother me. (I feel like the Devil often uses these excuses to prevent a breakthrough). However, I assured her I had all the time in the world, and I truly wanted to be there for her. Although I didn't know her, we were already sisters in Christ. I gave her a hug and let her cry into my shoulder. Then, she began to tell me about her struggles with loneliness and needing a place to belong. She literally quoted the words I had typed in this blog only minutes before. It's amazing how God orchestrates things. The entire time she was unleashing her story, I was pleading with God to give me the wisdom to minister to this woman. She said she often walked into the grocery store simply hoping to make friends. Can you imagine? In a city as enormous and exciting as Denver, she didn't feel like a single person cared about her. Think how many people even that day had passed her without noticing her deep depression. She had slipped through the cracks of the city I had found so inviting and fun. I ensured dear Kathy that I truly cared about her life (& more importantly that Christ cared!), and that she had a purpose beyond anything she could ever imagine. Sometimes all people want is to be told  that they are special and loved. Because we are. I often think of phrases like, "we're never alone when we're with Christ" as too Sunday-school to use in the real world, but sometimes the reality of the cliches sinks-in and makes them relevant. Later, Kayla and Blair joined Kathy and I in the lobby, and after exchanging contact information, we all went back into the service. I never will know what the rest of that sermon said. It doesn't even matter; instead of hearing a preacher, I heard the voice of Christ through a perfectly planned encounter. For weeks now, I had been feeling like I wasn't truly connecting to the Holy Spirit enough. I was rushing my prayers and time in the Word. However, during the last song of the sermon, I felt with every nerve in my body that I was not alone. I had been preaching to myself as much as I had been to Kathy. I'm going to meet Kathy next Sunday at Scum of the Earth again; hopefully she has found a place where she belongs now. I think I have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Sick

I'm (officially) ENGAGED!

The Highest Form of Love