It's begun!!!!!

It's official!!!! I'm finally here: united with all my fellow Gap Year students and the lovely staff that will be guiding us (literally and spiritually) on this journey. Can I just say that I absolutely love it so far? I truly think this will be the best year of my life thus far (and probably for years to come). I'm surrounded by amazing people that I can only pray will influence me to become a better person. I feel like I'm drinking from a fire hydrant, and I'm just trying to take it all in. Let me back up and give you a little insight to what is actually going on around here.

The first two days were really just dedicated to meeting each other and moving our seemingly abundant clothes and bedding into our rooms. The process took nearly the entire two days because my room (shared with three other girls) barely had enough space to stand with all our bags: a bit overwhelming to organize. After spending the night in the hotel with my parents Sunday night, I finished setting up my room, and I now feel like it's completely my home. Such a comforting feeling. (Keep in mind this took multiple trips to Target with all the other girls to buy "necessary" items such as rugs, shelves, and One Direction posters). Sunday afternoon, all the parents left, and we, the Gap Year-ers, stepped into independence and a sense of adulthood, many of us for the first real time in our lives. It was sad but also very liberating. Although I hurt for my family because I know they miss me (I had no idea how to react when I saw my dad cry in the hotel elevator), I couldn't bring myself to cry or even be sad. Of course, I love my family and all the life I was so comfortable living just a few months ago, but my excitement for the future prohibits me to miss the past. I'm sure I'll be homesick soon enough, but I'm thankful to say the phenomenon hasn't made a guest appearance in the reality show of my emotions yet. (I really pray that if it must come, it stays as a guest appearance rather than a regular character). Anyway, soon after kissing the parents goodbye, my new best friends and I dressed up and went downtown to see MC Hammer live (I love living in the city; if you're bored, then you're dead). I feel like I've known these people for years. We immediately clicked and began taking funny selfies, making jokes about each other, and doing things that my Catallion classes (Southern manner classes for kids) definitely taught me were inappropriate in settings with "strangers." Although those of you who know me know that this is completely in my character, we even began to do the Wobble and other "classic" dance moves in a street dance. The amazing part for me wasn't that I did that; it was that they did it too! Long story short, it's going to be a great year with these people. However, a bit to our dismay (we just settled in!), just the morning after finally setting up our new abode, the entire crew huddled into our 16-passenger van to drive to Camp KIVU in Durango, Colorado.

Here in Durango, the 8 girls, 3 boys, 2 counselors, and multiple staff have all connected and bonded in amazing ways. I honestly wish all my relationships began with a trip to Camp KIVU; understanding each other in these ways could honestly solve the majority of relational conflicts. Aside from using our rather abundant free-time to explore the grounds and share passions like flower crowns and star-gazing, we've all participated in personality tests, team-building exercises, and theological classes that will set the pace for the rest of our eight months together. I've already learned about myself and each other member: the character strengths and weaknesses, the goals and prayers, the methods of love communication, and the ways to "catch" each other, by recognizing vulnerability. To be brief, because I want to focus on eating this brownie now, this week already has fulfilled my deep childhood fantasies to be a "camp kid" during the summer. All the nature and quality time is definitely something I could get used to. To sum it up, I can't imagine being anywhere else right now. Especially after talking to many of my best friends on the phone*, I feel confident I should be here instead of a college campus somewhere. This is it, and I'm relishing in it. Thank you, Jesus.

*Whaddup Maddie, Holly and Maria! ;)

Comments

  1. You are incredible! It is wonderful to know you have found your place and your calling. These posts brought tears to my eyes thinking about how much I hope Sydney grows up with Christ in her heart and a mission to make the world a better place - just like her Aunt Alexis. Go get 'em, girl! I'll be following your blog! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much!!!! You already know I respect and admire you so much; you really are one of my role models. I already miss you and your family so much. I hope you guys had a great time at the beach. Also, I think I heard my mom is gonna start hanging out with Brady once a week!!!!! (At least I hope I heard that right...) If so, that's amazing and I'm so glad! I can't wait to come visit y'all and share all my stories and hear all yours!!! I love you and will see you soon! PS- I've been using the journal you gave me and the magnet is in my new room :) Too cute. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss you! Wish you the best I love you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Sick

I'm (officially) ENGAGED!

The Highest Form of Love