Denver park

     I'm currently sitting in a tree in one of Denver's parks. Yes, sitting in a tree. As I sit here, I think of how uncomfortable trees actually are. It seems so idealized to be a hippie child looking at the world from above, but it really just leaves the indention of the bark in my butt. I do, however, think it's a worthwhile experience- partly because I feel somehow connected to my childhood up here. Climbing a tree is a somewhat vulnerable experience; there's no casual way to do it. You just hoist up your legs and hope for the best. Maybe only children have the innocence and confidence to be so vulnerable in public. Children and crazy people like myself.

     Anyway, I think I've decided trees are a fantastic metaphor for people. Trees have roots, and they grow. They have layers and scars. They only grow in proper conditions. They need love and attention to grow fruit (occassionally even that doesn't work). As uncomfortable as this bark may be, it is a great way to look at humans- especially coming into this year. Surely the hurt and lonely will have built up rough protections to avoid vulnerability and even evade death: their own, personal bark. The abused women I work with at JAMLAC will probably have rings of layers to count; it was what they needed to survive. I have my own layers and rough edges. Everyone has a story. That's why I'm vowing right now to not be put off by the initial abrasions and hard textures people have put up. I will work to unravel the layers of those I work and live with. My friends, family, everyone. Using the same courage and childlike innocence necessary to climb a tree in a park, I will dive into personal relationships with an open heart and mind so that I can foster true life change in myself and others.

     Lord God, please give me wisdom and patience. Help me to be more like your Son everyday by seeing past the scars and layers others have built up. Lord, you are worthy, and I am not. I live for you today and forever. Thank you for the cross. Your love is astounding. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Sick

I'm (officially) ENGAGED!

The Highest Form of Love