identity, family, & hair

Lesson 2- The Little Mermaid is alive and well, and she lives in Nashville.
Lesson 3- Identity is way beyond skin deep

If you’re at all connected to me on social media, you’ve probably seen that I recently dyed my hair from its usual bleach blonde ways to a dramatic auburn red. Admittedly, one of my favorite pastimes is creating shock-factor, but that was only one of a few motivations for this particular decision. I’ve heard it said that girls who change their hair too often have self-confidence issues. 1) I don't believe that & 2) I think I may be the opposite and just not have enough self-confidence issues. (My poor roommate knows this all too well as I would often walk around the room “less than dressed” shall we say…) So while I had been planning to go red eventually this year just for fun, it wasn’t until I found out that my brother’s upcoming military training at the Corps of Cadets is called “Red Phase” that I felt like it was the perfect timing. Praise the Lord that it wasn’t called “Blue Phase,” or I might have felt inclined to pull a Katy Perry. Since the Red Phase is supposedly the hardest training he'll endure during his time in Air Force ROTC, we decided it would be fun if seeing my hair on social media would remind him that I care, and seeing my hair in the mirror would remind me to pray for him. Long story short, we decided to shave his head and dye my hair the same night. You should have seen the mini party we threw afterwards. Some of his friends had come out to support for his head shaving, but it wasn’t until they had all left or gone to bed that Christian and I had a full-on dance party for two in our basement at 3am. If a ginger and a baldie dancing alone isn’t sibling bonding, I don’t know what is. While I’ll likely change my hair back to blonde in a few weeks (unless I find something else fun to do), it’s been fun to try something new, support my brother, and affirm that identity is far beyond what the eye can see.

Our ugly "before" and happy "after"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Sick

I'm (officially) ENGAGED!

The Highest Form of Love