Why My Imperfection is Encouraging

Before this gap year began, I thought briefly about my expectations and self-growth; I planned on becoming highly spiritual and finding some sort of enlightenment. I didn't know who I would be, but I figured I'd be something like a wise monk who's best friends with Jesus and stuck in an American college student's body. Good plan right? Well now that my gap year is nearing a close, it's somewhat scary to realize that I'm still just me. Human. Layla through and through. I definitely have vastly more experiences and hopefully consequentially more maturity, but I'm ultimately just a better version of myself. Nothing more or less. I still find myself having to work to carve out time for prayer, Bible-reading, and genuine reflection. I still have to weigh my decisions in my mind, and unfortunately I still make the wrong ones on occasion. I guess wise monk perfection is still not in sight (just to be clear, it never will be. That's the definition of humanity). However, along with the intimidation of reality, I also feel a sense of empowerment and freedom. I'm about to really blow your minds with this next statement, so strap in: we're all human. Revolutionary right? Okay, I know. Anticlimactic. Still, I believe that if we actually acknowledge this simple truth, it could vastly change and improve the world.

If we are all only human, then no one is inherently better than anyone else. Equality itself isn't really a new idea anymore, but its implementation still is. The way I treat the "ultra poor" here in the Philippines should be no different than the way I treated my beloved Jordanian host family or even my own family in America. Similarly, the way we treat the marginalized worldwide such as drug addicts, homeless people, or maybe even the unpopular kid at the lunch table should be consistent with the ideals of equality. This is exactly what Christ was conveying with his lifestyle. He didn't eat with sinners just to shock the Pharisees; He did it as an example. 

On the flip-side of my basic conclusion (we are all human), I feel liberation at how the world works. Everything I know, including politics, cultural norms, and relationships, was defined by humans just like me. The most influential people in the world were once only children. They had a mom and dad, and they once had to learn how to write the alphabet. They are prone to temptation and make mistakes. Not to be anarchist, but just the thought that everything is run by humans means anything is possible. W
e all have influence. Some more than others, but we all have the ability to redefine this thing we call “life." Even changing our mindset can affect others. Optimism is a revolution in itself, and it's one that I try to constantly align myself with. Basically, I don't want to ever become so indoctrinated in earthly ways that I forget that they're pliable; the only everlasting system is that of Christ. Everything else can change (thus making it a poor place to put your trust). Political rebellions happen. Country border lines shift. Friends come and go. Jobs and interests change. Only God will remain at the end. It is through my imperfection that I can clearly see the equality of humanity, the impermanency of society, and ultimately the need for Christ. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Sick

I'm (officially) ENGAGED!

The Highest Form of Love