The Perfect Day

In order to give everyone a more tangible taste of my experiences in Jordan (since I've realized many may not know anything about my daily life etc), I've scribed one of my weekend days with my host family (about a week ago). During weekdays, I go to my internship at Princess Taghrid Institute (a relational and job-training center for orphans who have graduated the orphanage at the age of 18). I work in the tailoring unit as well as working as a model for the upcoming fashion show (an event in their East West and Africa Women's Initiatives Conference). I also attend group sessions and one-on-ones at Ithraa Relational Training, where I've been learning more about self-awareness and how I relate to others. Anyways, I hope this post is enlightening as far as my current life; it's been absolutely amazing so far, and I'm excited to see how I continue to learn and grow as I fall more in love with my host family, other gap year students, the world at large, and, above all, Christ...

Every Friday morning, Jordanians have family breakfast (weekly Thanksgiving). This morning, my mum, Fedwa, took me to buy some food, our offering for the feast, and drive me around the area to play tour guide. She's so hospitable. In the bread shop, I was mesmerized by a chute that was constantly popping down circles of pita bread. To me, it was like modern-day manna from heaven. It looked so good. After getting all the food, we grabbed Sarah, my sister, and drove to her grandma’s house (Fedwa’s mom). We also met up with Sarah's aunt. Fedwa is 1 of 10 children, but some now live in the US. After setting up the feast for brunch, we sat down and ate. And ate. And ate. We ate so much that I physically couldn’t eat again until late that night. I admire the Jordanian respect for family time and physical presence; it seems to be a lost art in the Western world. Nonetheless, it’s probably a good thing that I don’t live here permanently, or I would blow up like a balloon. Thanksgiving once a week?! My food baby, Tasha, may be here to stay until I hit the Philippines in a month. Anyways, after eating, we sat around and talked for about an hour; Fedwa’s brother also came by and another sister came over later in the day. Friday is family day. Making the most of the weekend, Sarah and I left early from the family gathering so that we could meet up with 2 of her cousins, Haneen and Anoud, and our younger sister, Luma. We all piled into the car to drive about 30 minutes down to the Dead Sea. After perking up with drive-thru coffee, we jammed to Arabic songs, sang, laughed, and talked. They are hilarious and so full of personality. Very strong female types- not what the stereotypes portray as quiet and obedient Muslim girls.

After passing the Baptism Site (as in the site where Jesus- the One and Only- was baptized… whaaaaat), we arrived at a restaurant overlooking the Dead Sea. Although I only drank a cup of juice because baby Tasha, left over from breakfast, was taking all my stomach space, I talked and laughed with my new family. We talked as I would with any of my other friends. The women of Jordan that I’ve met are so strong and independent. Because of that, many of them also actually want to move to the West where they’re more in-tune with the mindset. Haneen, wearing a traditional hijab (head wrap), told me that she probably won’t marry an Arabic man because they’re not responsible enough. According to her, their culture has made some of them feel entitled, and she wants a man instead of a child. She's also unwilling to accept polygamy; she speaks her mind, makes her own success, and sticks to her standards. This week, she’s finishing her exams to earn her MBA. Educated woman. I respect her and the rest of the women in my new family quite a bit. They balance traditional heritage with modern independence and self-respect.

After our lunch, we all piled into the car again to drive up a mountain and get a good view of the sunset. Our time up there was like out of a movie. We took TONS of photos, listened and performed quality music like One Direction and other mainstream hits (you know me- always the performer), and laughed constantly. Staring out into the double sunset (one the actual sun and the other mirrored in the sea), I looked at the lights of Jerusalem (just over the water) and thought about the amazing glory of God. It’s truly and unbearably beautiful. The fact that he sent His son 2000 years ago to die for me, yet still has infinite time and concern to perfectly orchestrate my life today is humbling. Just breathing is an act of worship; I am His until the end of time. I hope I never get over the beauty of that sentence.

On the way home, we listened to all the music that I love. It should be self-explanatory we were dancing like maniacs (as much as possible in such a crowded car). Other cars in the traffic were our audience. For a moment, I almost forgot I was thousands of miles from home. It was just like the so many times I’ve had the exact same experience with my friends back in good ole Nashville. The world is so much smaller than we make it out to be. All in all, today was the perfect day. God is so good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Sick

I'm (officially) ENGAGED!

The Highest Form of Love