Doreen the Nanny (My First Post from Rwanda)

Well, today was my first actual day in my host home and at my internship; the jet lag recovery period is officially over, and I’m ready to begin my new routine. Anyways, because my time at my internship, Rwanda Trading Company, was only an orientation, I had plenty of time to hang out with the nanny and baby Ramya (14 months old) at my host-home in between exploring the city and visiting Blair, who is within walking distance. Still acclimating to the culture and more specifically the people and routine of my home stay, I chatted with Doreen, the nanny, and helped looked after the adorable and rambunctious Ramya. Luckily, Doreen speaks near perfect English, and she was very open and enthusiastic in sharing her story with me. I could tell she deeply appreciated spending time with someone else who could use intelligible words (although Ramya does try very hard). Understandably, I think she’s a bit starved for quality time with adults. Having worked in Rwanda for about a year and a half, she has spent literally all her time at my home stay since all her family and friends still live in Uganda, where she was raised before moving. Although I initially assumed Doreen is about 30 or 35 years old, she is actually only 20; a mere year older than I am! (she’s one of those people who makes it extremely hard to estimate age). However, despite the similar age, she is admittedly much braver and emotionally stronger than I. When she was only 18, she left her family and life in Uganda in order to earn money. Confiding her past fears to me, she admits that the thoughts of the unknown and of never again seeing her family delayed her departure, so she took time to muster up the courage to leave. Although she has two older brothers and one sister, she is the only child in the family to have left Uganda. When she told her parents that she was leaving, they were terrified for her, but they eventually agreed (assumably due to necessity for funds). Through a mutual friend, she landed a job as a nanny and cleaner for my home stay family just a month after Alpha, my Rwandan mother (with the coolest, most appropriate and feminist name in the world) gave birth to Ramya. Now she lives with them and spends nearly every waking moment taking care of the baby. Although she says she misses her family and would leave right now to visit if given the opportunity, she has been unable to go home since leaving. Nonetheless, she still plans to move back at some point. Interestingly, I think she's conflicted between her loyalty to the baby and my sweet host family in Rwanda and her passion for her true family and life back home.She says Ramya is her best friend, and I believe her. I’m convinced Doreen hasn’t met a soul outside of this family and those who enter it. She truly loves that baby; she’s watched him grow up. Despite Doreen’s tumultuous and fearful journey thus far, she shows tremendous courage and still seems lively; she has grown to see this new space as her temporary home. She laughs after nearly every sentence. I imagine that her work ethic and responsibility at a young age are common themes around here; the cook also told me that he is only 18 years old. Both of these workers confessed that they should still be in school based on their age, but decided to work instead for one reason or another. It’s hard to feel justified in homesickness or fear of the unknown when people like Doreen co-inhabitat my house with their stories of true sacrifice and trust in Christ. I can’t even imagine the loneliness and sorrow that must have plagued Doreen in those first few months of her new life. Just imagine if America and the West were composed of people with such responsibility and faith. During my five weeks left in Rwanda and this home, I plan to befriend and encourage Doreen and everyone else I meet. I consider that a purpose and “service” just as much as my actual internship. After speaking with Doreen, I can feel the Holy Spirit prompting me to find service in even the most unexpected of places. Although this adventure may seem scary and very foreign at first, God has me here for a reason, and I plan to seize the opportunity as much as possible. Becoming a friend may be one of the bests ways I can use my gifts and presence to participate in God's will. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Sick

I'm (officially) ENGAGED!

The Highest Form of Love