Divinity Within (so meta, ammirite??)

Lesson 10- You see what you look for.

Like most people, I've been pretty down about global events these past few days. It seems like there's been a social explosion of hate, prejudice, and trauma. This post is not to share opinions about any specific events (Facebook seems to have that role on lock), but I do want to share a few thoughts based off a talk I gave this past summer at camp. It's about shifting our perspective and recognizing the divinity of others. 

It seems that too often humans view each other as objects, problems, or stereotypes. We treat others as disposable, we discredit any view that isn't our own, and we alienate anyone who seems too different or vulnerable. From what I can tell, people rarely think of each other as masterpieces and priceless works of art. But that's exactly what we are. As Genesis 1:27 puts it, "So God created human beings in his own image, in the image of God he created them." Everyone person you've ever met is the pinnacle of nature. They are the genes that survived and the design that won. They are not an accident; they are a vessel of the divine. Therefore, when we love each other, when we are selfless, when we sacrifice, we are exemplifying that we are more than flesh. We're showing that God is weaved into the fabric of our being. Rather than a "mirror" relationship where only those with a strong faith can love well, I think human nature has built-in goodness. Regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual identity, political view, etc, EVERY human has the capacity for both incredible love and haunting evil. While a relationship with Christ can (and should) inspire us to act more like Him, all humans already have His image within them, even if they don't know or believe it. 

Now, imagine how different the world would look if we valued each other as a reflection of God. If we looked for the best in each other instead of attacking or finding ways to get offended. Our reality is completely molded by our perspective. Experience is not so much the event as it is the interpretation. One reason for different subjective realities is that humans work to reinforce their beliefs rather than challenge them. The other discrepancy is that we simply can't focus on every aspect of life all at once, so we create angles built off assumptions, past experiences, and beliefs. Personally, I've found that my default angle is to assume my life is all about me. My friendships are only satisfying if they make ME feel good. My grades are important because they'll help ME get a job, an internship, a future, whatever. I empathize with lots of issues, but get most serious about the ones that affect ME. And you know what I've realized? I'm so unsatisfied with this angle. I'm always looking toward the next thing, waiting on something to really "wow" me as if the world is all about my circumstantial happiness. I want to take a new angle: looking for how I see Christ in others. Recognizing the good, even among the bad, and expanding my focus beyond myself. 

Here's a tangible example: Back when I lived on the low-end side of Denver on my gap year, I had a running "note" on my iPhone called "Ways I Saw Jesus Today." Throughout the day, I would jot down a quick note anytime I saw someone who exemplified the image of God. I didn't know a single person that I wrote about, but it was just a good exercise to get me looking for what was already happening around me. I just had to notice. Some of the notes included strangers sharing an umbrella to hide from the rain, a bus driver being exceptionally welcoming to a man in a wheelchair, and two women, formerly strangers, having a truly ecstatic conversation about how much they love cats. One of my notes I remember especially vividly... While I was on the bus, I noticed a man and immediately labeled him as "hardcore." Tear drop tattoo on the face, enough jackets to show it wasn't about being cold, this guy was forreal. However, when an elderly woman and her granddaughter got on the bus, the "scary" man got up and offered his row with a kind word. Shaking my head at how assuming I had been, I took out my phone and typed out "thug gives grandma and little girl seat." Really eloquent notes, I know. Still, the point remains. Life is all about what you're looking for. I could have just as easily missed that entire exchange if I had instead been scrolling through my Instagram feed (per usual). While the practice of the notes isn't really important, the concept of intentionally finding Christ (where He already is) can be life-changing. It's a habit I need to focus on more to rid myself of my often-selfish outlook. 

Another worthwhile effect of recognizing Christ in others is that we are completely powerless in the situation. We are not the source of the "good," we simply observe and appreciate it. It is a grave danger to assume that we are saviors meant to "bring Christ to the world" with our lives. He is already here, has been long before us, and will be long after we're gone. Our job is to recognize him, worship him, and make much of him with our short lives. His image lives within all of us. So instead of arrogantly acting as if the world is a football game and everyone needs to get on a side and fight the opposition, we would do well to look for the good in others, respect, and listen. If we're going to assume anything, let it be the assumption that everyone has best intentions, even if misplaced or uninformed. It may be the only way to solve things.

Comments

  1. I love your ideas about intentionality in seeing Christ! Writing notes, what a cool practice!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Sick

I'm (officially) ENGAGED!

The Highest Form of Love